In this edition: Bringing Baltimore to Seattle, a barbershop invitation, & gratitude – plus job openings, Seattle media & grant deadlines, and more.
Coming in August: ‘Total Eclipse of My Heart… Comes Undone’
As the eclipsed sun sets, join us on August 21 at Naked City Brewery for an evening with composer Judah Adashi and cellist Lavena Johanson. Married last year in Seattle (Lavena’s hometown) and living in Baltimore (Judah’s hometown), these two musicians are passionate about creating inviting concert experiences, exploring the continuum between classical music and other genres, and engaging the world beyond music in their work. The mesmerizing centerpiece of their concert will be a piece that Judah wrote for Lavena in 2014, my heart comes undone. Doors open at 6:30, food and drink will be available for purchase throughout the evening. Proceeds benefit the Live Music Project. Tickets $15, or $25 with a surprise. See you there!
Thank yous and yous and yous!
A huge thank you to our volunteers, who have spent hours upon hours this month building our new website, maintaining the concert listings, and writing previews: Nick, Dan, Jon, Kent, Marjorie, Jennie, and Anton. And to our recent donors: Heather Bentley, Karin Brookes, Anna Edwards, Jessica Fredican, James Holt, Mike Holzinger, Jon Icasas, Jonathan Lyon, Jane Turbiner, and Hannah Turbiner Lyon, Bill Manos, Sheila Oh, John Reale, Maggie Stapleton, Mitsuo Tomita, and Josh Yotty, as well as Boeing and Microsoft corporate matching. We couldn’t do it without you!
- MV Music is looking for community members to participate in a site-specific commission for the Olympic Sculpture Park. Email email@example.com for more information.
- The Seattle SeaChordsmen Barbershop Chorus will be holding a Guest Night rehearsal at the Queen Anne Baptist Church for those interested in learning about barbershop-style singing. (July 18)
- Pacific Northwest Conducting Institute is still accepting applications. Day observers are welcome and should email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- KING FM is hiring an assistant program director, webmaster, and more.
- The Seattle Symphony is hiring teaching artists to work in all areas of their Education and Community Engagement programs.
- The Seattle Philharmonic is looking for arts-loving community members interested in joining their board of trustees.
- Sammamish Symphony Orchestra is auditioning for trumpet players and section players in all string sections.
- July 13, 2017 – NEA Art Works registration deadline
- August 29, 2017 – Tegna Foundation grant application deadline
- September 28, 2017 – 4Culture Tech-Specific Grant application deadline. Supports work at the intersection of art and technology.
- October 27, 2017 – Seattle Symphony Celebrate Asia Composition Competition submission deadline. The competition seeks to recognize emerging composers interested in Asian culture, music, and traditions.
- November 1, 2017 – 2018 Female Band Composition Competition submission deadline
- Rolling – 4Culture Open Arts Grant; apply at least 6 weeks prior to event date
- Rolling – Seattle Office of Arts & Culture smART ventures grant application deadline
- Rolling – Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute facility grant; apply at least two months prior to event date
- Rolling – Spontaneous Free Tickets; contribute tickets up to 1 week prior to performance date
Media calendar deadlines
- Seattle Magazine – submit events 3 months ahead for the print calendar
- City Arts – submit 6 weeks ahead for the online/print calendar (and/or send releases to email@example.com)
- Seattle Times – submit 14 days ahead for consideration in the curated classical listings (online & print)
- The Stranger – submit any time to the online “Things to Do” calendar; for the quarterly Seattle Art & Performance, submit at least 5 weeks before the start of the quarter in which the event will take place
- Seattle Met – submit 2-4 weeks ahead of event for the online calendar
- Live Music Project – submit 1 week prior to performance date (online); deadline for weekend email listings is Wednesdays @ 5pm
To receive this LMP monthly community update by email, subscribe to our newsletter.
We invite you to submit announcements/deadlines for inclusion in this newsletter by the 25th of each month. You can do that here.
Past issues are located in the archive.