The Live Music Project is seeking volunteer full-stack engineers interested in tech-for-good. We are a small team of volunteer developers working with a seasoned product manager who is embedded in Seattle’s classical music community. We are currently growing the team from 3 to 10 devs to match the scale of our technology. We meet in person twice per month, supplemented by asynchronous communication. Learn more about LMP at livemusicproject.org/about/.
Our ongoing projects serve our mission to increase access to the arts through community-centered technology:
- The LMP classical concert calendar is the heart of our community. We are working to launch a nation-wide classical music calendar platform that will take the place of the current calendar built on WordPress (livemusicproject.org).
- Dots is our in-house donation platform for performing arts organizations. It currently supports a handful of live fundraising campaigns with rapidly growing interest from within the classical music community. Check it out at dots.livemusicproject.org.
- Spontaneous Free Tickets is a program that brings classical music to new and under-served audiences for free. This season, we will distribute $30,000 in free tickets to the Puget Sound community. This program is ripe for automation, and our administrators are eager to use our tech stack to scale SFT to the next level. Learn more about SFT at livemusicproject.org/spontaneous-free-tickets/.
Our projects are built on a consistent technology stack:
- Django (Python) full-stack framework
- React/Redux for rich user interfaces
- PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch
- Docker for development
- Heroku for infrastructure/deployment
- CircleCI for automated testing and continuous integration
- Github for source control and code reviews
- Zenhub (Github plugin) for issue tracking and project management
- Google Docs and Github wiki for specs and documentation
- Slack for communication
Ideal contributors have experience with some or all of:
- A scripting language (preferably Python)
- A full-stack framework/ORM (preferably Django) and relational databases
- Building frontend applications (preferably React/Redux)
- Working on a team to turn product specs into code
- Shipping well-tested code
- Great communication and transparency in technical decision-making
We are a small organization that relies on volunteers to have a BIG impact. As a volunteer, your contributions will reach thousands of people each month – from young kids to retirees.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you. Please contact email@example.com with a brief introduction.
Updated: January 14, 2020